Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Of Love, Guilds, and Memories

When I was poking around over on Warcraft Realms (Found Here) I was suddenly caught in a wave of memories.

Mostly good and few meh I thought I would share a story of the best guild I have ever experienced.

So lets travel back to those heady days of 2006.  
* The Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter arrives at Mars.
* The foreign ministers of the United Kingdom, France, and Germany declare that negotiations with  Iran over its nuclear program have reached a dead end and recommend that Iran be referred to the United Nations Security Council.
* Construction begins on the Freedom Tower for the new World Trade Center in New York City.
* Western Union discontinues use of its telegram service.
* Hamdan v. Rumsfeld: The U.S. Supreme Court rules that President George W. Bush's plan to try Guantanamo Bay detainees in military tribunals violates U.S. and international law.
* The last Mobile Army Surgical Hospital (MASH) is decommissioned by the United States Army.
* English-language Wikipedia reaches its one millionth article, Jordanhill railway station.
* And I am a Tauren Hunter on the realm of Thorium Brotherhood.

Not quite as important as the rest but significant to me.


Id joined a guild around level 10 but they were just...well...people in a guild.  I started looking around asked some random folks.  What I came across was the Unseen University.


They weren't your usual guild because they asked things of you.  Farm mats, give them BoE blues and greens to sell, contribute as best you could.  In return they promised to give back to you.  The whole idea sounded amazingly good to me.  You would find BoE blues in those days as you killed the mobs to level but very rarely were they any good to you.  I gave many things to the guild and when I was 30 I was head to toe in blues at a time when wearing some white armor was normal.  My Harpyclaw Bow meant the world to me.  I remember finding a melee weapon that would of been meh for me and giving it to the guild and being proud when someone was giving it when they hit 20 (Searing Blade I think).

We would do runs to farm materials, level folks, and have fun.  My favorite was a troll mage who would pull all of Shadowfang Keep to the courtyard and blow them up all a once.  Your job as a low level was to soak up exp and loot as fast as you could before corpses disappear.
Then we would punch out the bossess, pass out BoE loot to anyone who could use it, and repeat.  'Bad' greens could be disenchanted for more loot and really everyone won.

But I started seeing people being very negative to the guy barking our blues in trade and hearing rumors on alts.  We're Chinese gold farmers.  We're a pyramid scheme.  The higher levels just extort you for stuff and never help you.  I'd get random duels from people and kicked from groups just fr being in the guild.

 I loved my guild.  The chat had a warm friendly vibe.  People helped each other and took pride not only in their own gear but the gear their guildies were wearing.  If you couldn't handle an area you could get help with your rotation and setup or they would let you know where mobs you were supposed to be killing hung out.  I still have a letter a troll mage in the guild wrote me in Nightwill's bank.

But the hostility from those outside the guild was horrid.

Finally the guild leaders decided to shut down the guild and I was really unhappy about it.  From June 06 to June 07 was the best time I'd had in WoW.  They had seen me from my 20s to my 50s in level and I wanted to be a 60 with that guild over my head.

So there you have it, my first real guild.  Oh I was in Alliance guilds too but they were generally horrid believing you needed raid experience and to have raid gear before you could raid.  Or heal Blackrock spire.  Or deserved help.  'I had to solo up without help so should everyone else'.  Ugh.

So do you have a guild that you look back to as Utopia?  Brought down by the forces of Jealousy and Ignorance?

Just to end on a more positive note..

No comments:

Post a Comment